Friday, May 11, 2012

My Resolution

I'll try not to make this long or soap boxish because I don't like long or soap boxish.

So, I've tried it and I'm done. PG-13 movies that is.
As a teenager and all growing up I vigorously stuck to what my parents taught me, but I'm almost ashamed to admit that as an adult I just wanted to fit in. I wanted to be more accepted. But I'm done with that.

That's not to say they've all been really bad or that some PG movies don't leave me wishing I'd never been, but most were too much for me.

The violence gives me headaches, the images never leave my mind.
I don't allow my family or friends to use inappropriate language in front of me, so why should I allow that in a movie?
I honestly and firmly believe intimate things are sacred and should be shared between husband and wife (or maybe a therapist if you need help but definetly not with me) and not in a movie.

I realize this standard is different than the rest of world, but I can't do it anymore. It's never been anything but a burden to me. I'm OK to be different now. I like being different now.

What does bring me happiness is to remember the friends that did respect that standard of mine as a teenager. Friends that I was close to and friends that were really only acquaintances.

So, surely adults can accept it as well, right? Either way... I've decided, and there's no going back now.

2 comments:

  1. That's what is awesome about adulthood - you finally get what a true friend is maybe in part because you've learned how to be one too. And those true friends are the ones that won't pressure you to break your standards but will respect them.... sometimes even try to emulate them! (Though I have found a friend now and again that is true but simply doesn't get the absoluteness I desire in making and keeping a standard... They think that a movie ought to be judged more on the content on an individual basis!... That friend just needs a little patience from you as they'll try to explain every part that might have made the movie the rating it is but really is ok to watch!

    Nice going, Jodi.... I hope to remember to have my boys look at your blog since they seem to be determined that as soon as they leave my roost, they'll be changing that horrid rule first off! Maybe they'll need to experience what you and I both did though - but hopefully they can learn from our mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jodi, that's awesome! I recently decided the same thing. I was gradually starting to make more exceptions, but I was always sorry when I did. I feel much better about myself when I stick to what I feel is right regardless of the consequences. Way to go! Becky

    ReplyDelete